- 1 cup Brown Chickpea a.k.a Bengal Gram
- 4 table spoons onion, chopped
- 2-3 green chilies
- 1 medium potato, cubed
- 1 tomato, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt, according to taste
- 3 table spoons oil
- Cilantro (optional)
- Soak chickpea in water for about 5-6 hours.
- Boil chickpea until soft.
- Dry roast cumin and coriander until fragrant and grind to powder.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add onion and green chilies and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add potato and all spices. Stir and cook until semi soft.
- Add tomato and boiled chickpea.
- Season with salt.
- Mix well and cook in low medium heat.
- Turn off stove when potato is cooked and oil separates from chickpea.
- Serve ghugni with cucumber, chopped tomatoes, onions and cilantro.
Use a pressure cooker to boil the chickpea. It'll take about an hour for the chola/chana to soften.
Boiled chickpea can be stored in freezer in smaller portions and cooked later.
Recipe by: http://www.withaspin.com/2013/08/04/ghugni-brown-chickpeas-snack/