Category: Chicken / Eggs
One of the most delicious dishes in Yemen. The HawayejShirkah [mixture of ground cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cardamon, pepper, and sometimes turmeric] is most important for this type of delicacy.
- 1 chicken or 1 lb of lamb cut into medium pieces
- If you are using lamb then boil it until it is well done
- 1 cup and a 1/2 of rice half boiled [which means boiled until almost done, but not quite]
- 1 tsp and a 1/2 of the spice mix of your choice
- 2 clovers of garlic roughly crushed
- 1 tomato roughly chopped
- 1 green chilly pepper roughly chopped
- 1 tblsp of cilantro roughly chopped
- 2 medium potatoes quartered
- Yellow / orange rice coloring
- Medium onion roughly chopped into slices
- 2-3 tbslp of oil
- In the pot, under medium high heat, add the onion slices and let brown a little.
- Then add the oil and potatoes. When the onion has browned, add the meat, garlic, spice, tomatoes, green chilli, and cilantro.
- Cook for 5 minutes and then add 1 cup of water and let it cook until the potato is almost done.
- Layer all the rice on top. Sprinkle a little of the food coloring and about 2 tbslp of water and place in oven for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Serve hot with your favorite salad.
Recipe by: https://yemeniyah.com/2012/07/03/yemeni-bachelor-pad-kabsah-%D9%83%D8%A8%D8%B3%D8%A9-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B9%D8%B2%D9%8A%D8%A8%D8%A9-%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%85%D8%BA%D8%AA%D8%B1%D8%A8%D9%8A%D9%86/